Ignacio graduated in Chemistry, with honors, in 2007. In 2010 he moved to UC Berkeley to explore enantioselective gold catalysis under the guidance of Prof. Dean Toste, getting his PhD in 2012 at the Spanish Research Council (CSIC), mentored by Prof. Fernández de la Pradilla, in the field of asymmetric synthesis using chiral sulfoxides. During 2014-2016 he was a Marie Curie Fellow at the University of Oxford, where he developed new metal-free oxidation processes within the group of Prof. Tim Donohoe. He later took a postdoctoral position with Prof. Steve Fletcher at Oxford during 2016-2018 to study new autocatalytic methods in connection with the origin of life.
In fall 2018 he has taken his current position as a Juan de la Cierva fellow in the Tortosa group.
• Colomer, I.; Morrow, S.; Fletcher, S. P. “A transient self-assembly self-replicator” Nature Commun., 2018, 9, 2239.
• Colomer, I.;* Chamberlain, A.; Haughey, M.; Donohoe, T.J. “Hexafluoroisopropanol as a highly versatile solvent” Nature Review Chemistry, 2017, 1, 0088.
• Colomer, I.; Fernández de la Pradilla, R.; Viso, A. Chem. Rev., 2017, 117, 14201-14243.
• Colomer, I.; Batchelor-McAuley, C.; Odell, B.; Donohoe, T.J.; Compton, R.G. “Hydrogen bonding to hexafluoroisopropanol enhances the oxidative strength of the hypervalent iodine reagent phenyliodine(III) diacetate” J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2016, 138, 8855-8861.
• Colomer, I.; Coura Barcelos, R.; Donohoe, T. “Catalytic hypervalent iodine promoters allow styrene dimerisation and the formation of tri- and tetrasubstituted cyclobutanes” Angew. Chem., Int. Ed., 2016, 55, 4748-4752. Highlighted in Synfacts 2016, 12, 0527.
• Brazeau, J.-F.; Zhang, S.; Colomer, I.; Corkey, B. K.; Toste, F. D. “Enantioselective Cyclizations of Silyloxyenynes Catalyzed by Cationic Metal Phosphine Complexes” J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2012, 134, 2742-2749.